From start to finish, the process took about 1 1/2 hours.
|No peel, no pectin nectarine jam|
Spiced Nectarine Jam
Ingredients6 cups pitted, chopped nectarines
3 cups sugar
Juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
4 or 5 sterilized half-pint canning jars, seals and rings
- Combine chopped nectarines, sugar and lemon juice in large stainless steel pot (at least 5 quarts).
- Bring to a soft boil over medium high heat. Boil for 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent scorching. It may be necessary to reduce heat occasionally as the mixture begins to thicken.
- Stir in ground cinnamon and almond extract. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Ladle jam into sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims and jars clean with a damp cloth. Seal each jar with a lid and ring.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
If properly processed, the jam can be stored in the pantry for up to a year. Jars that did not seal properly can be stored in the refrigerator.